By Beth Reiber
- Expert advice from an skilled writer. Our Frommer's Tokyo writer was the first US resident appointed a YOKOSO! Japan Ambassador by means of Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, delivery, and Tourism for her a long time writing approximately Japan. she's going to supply invaluable insights and recommendation and should express you the genuine center of Tokyo.
- Comprehensive and clear directions for navigating a fast paced and sometimes overwhelming city.
- The better of each neighborhood, together with swanky retailers within the Ginza district, the Imperial Palace (home of Japan's emperor) within the Hibiya district, sumo wrestling stadiums within the city of Ryogoku, and tricky "lolita" (baby doll) and "cosplay" (anime personality) clothes you will see childrens donning within the Harijuku district.
- Options for each cost point, from luxury business hotels to cheap, miniscule "capsule hotels," from eating places serving beautiful kaiseki feasts to stand-up noodle homes, from high-end bars and clubs in the Ginza district to chuffed hours and dive bars in Shinjuku and Roppongi.
- A convenient glossary of daily expressions and menu phrases, and our detailed and essential jap personality translations that will help you spot institutions' signs.
- Side trips to Kamakura, Nikko, Mashiko, Yokahama, Mount Fuji, and more.
Read or Download Frommer's Tokyo (Frommer's Complete Guides) PDF
Best Japan books
Winner of the Pulitzer PrizeIn this groundbreaking biography of the japanese emperor Hirohito, Herbert P. Bix bargains the 1st entire, unvarnished examine the enigmatic chief whose sixty-three-year reign ushered Japan into the fashionable international. by no means prior to has the whole lifetime of this debatable determine been published with such readability and vividness.
Japan is arguably modern-day such a lot profitable business financial system, combining virtually remarkable affluence with social balance and obvious concord. jap items and cultural products--from lively video clips and desktop video games to automobiles, semiconductors, and administration techniques--are ate up world wide.
A contemporary background of Japan: From Tokugawa instances to the current, 3rd variation, paints a richly nuanced and strikingly unique portrait of the final centuries of jap historical past. It takes scholars from the times of the shogunate--the feudal overlordship of the Tokugawa family--through the modernizing revolution introduced by means of midlevel samurai within the past due 19th century; the adoption of Western hairstyles, garments, and armed forces association; and the nation's first experiments with mass democracy after international conflict I.
From the overdue 19th century, Japan sought to include the Korean Peninsula into its increasing empire. Japan took keep an eye on of Korea in 1910 and governed it till the top of worldwide conflict II. in this colonial interval, Japan marketed as a countrywide target the assimilation of Koreans into the japanese nation.
Additional resources for Frommer's Tokyo (Frommer's Complete Guides)
Closed second sunlight of each month. Station: Roppongi (A1 go out, 1 min. ). On a facet highway that parallels Roppongi Dori, a stone’s throw from Roppongi Hills. five the place to devour as well as the ideas less than, los angeles Boheme (p. 113), at 4–11–13 Roppongi (& 03/3478-0222; day-by-day 11:30am–2am) and 2–25–18 Nishi Azabu (& 03/3407-1363; day-by-day 11:30am–5pm), serves pizza and pasta, whereas Monsoon, 2–10–1 Nishi Azabu (& 03/5467-5221), deals a wide selection of Asian criteria day-by-day from 11:30am to 3:30am (p. 113). Gyu-Kaku, 5–1–2 Roppongi (& 03/54145129), is a teppanyaki/Korean barbeque eating place, open Monday to Saturday from 5pm to 5am and Sunday and vacation trips from 5pm to dead night (p. 146). Frijoles MEXICAN subsequent to Roti (below), this informal eatery serves just a couple of dishes—burritos, tacos, and salads—but it does it super good, making this a really renowned selection for lunch and takeout. Head to the counter and select your medium (taco, burrito or salad), your meat (chicken, steak, or professional beef; vegetarian additionally available), toppings (black beans, pinto beans, cheese, and so forth. ), and salsa (from gentle to fiery hot), after which head to the small counter or one of many open air tables. many of the nutrition is ready on-site, and it exhibits. 6–8–23 Roppongi. & 03/3478-0092. Yakitori skewers ¥315–¥735; yakitori set path ¥2,625. AE, MC, V. day-by-day 5pm–1:30am. Station: Roppongi (7 min. ). From Roppongi Crossing, take the small road going downhill to the left of the Almond espresso store; Ganchan is on the backside of the hill at the correct. 141 VARIED JAPANESE/YAKITORI Housed in a re-created kura (traditional jap warehouse) with a excessive ceiling, three-tiered seating, and a important, open kitchen, this is often one in all Tokyo’s such a lot innovative reasonably cheap eastern eating places (it’s acknowledged to have served because the proposal for the lively eating place scene within the motion picture Kill Bill). It bargains a large choice of dishes, together with yakitori (such as duck breast with wasabi), fish (such as miso-glazed black cod), sushi (on the 3rd floor), noodles, and extra. From the surface, you’d count on this position to be even more specific than it is—and you possibly may be excluded in case you fail to make reservations for dinner. There are branches of Gonpachi on the G-Zone, 1–2–3 Ginza (& 03/5524-3641; station: Kyobashi or Ginza-Itchome); in Shibuya at the 14th ground of E-Space Tower, 3–6 Maruyama-cho (& 03/5784-2011; station: Shibuya); and at Mediage on Odaiba (& 03/3599-4807; station: Daiba), all open from 11:30am to 3:30am or later. in spite of the fact that, they don’t fit the Nishi Azabu location’s surroundings. Gonpachi 1–13–11 Nishi Azabu. & 03/5771-0170. www. gonpachi. jp. Reservations steered for dinner. Yakitori ¥300–¥1,500; major dishes ¥1,200–¥3,200; set dinners ¥4,500–¥6,000; set lunches ¥1,000–¥3,000. AE, DC, MC, V. Sun–Thurs 11:30am–3:30am; Fri–Sat 11:30am–5am. Station: Roppongi (10 min. ). From Roppongi Crossing, stroll towards Shibuya on Roppongi Dori. it is going to be in your correct, on the nook of Gaien-Nishi Dori. Honoji the place to consume Roppongi & Nishi Azabu five assorted eastern A undeniable wood facade and a standard inside set the temper for strong, home-style jap cooking.